10) Advertising (wear what you want to work, thread the line between professional and hip)
9) Communications (write emails and update social media for a living)
8) Political operative/Advocate (Don’t say lobbyist! Getting paid to “make the world a better place”. A win-win).
7) Public Relations/Marketing
6) Corporate slave (but planning to go back to grad school so you can do something “you really want to do”)
5) Grad school/Professional school
4) Artist/Graphic Design
3) Fundraiser/Event Planning
2) Non-Profits (want to do business things without having completely “sold-out”? crunching numbers is fine when you’re helping a good cause!)
1) Coffee shop/bike shop owner
I’ve noticed that so far this blog has been male focused (as I am a male etc.) So, I have yuppster female friends but noticed they often read as twee. So, what do you think? Are you a yuppster girl, if so, are you twee too?
* Played a drug rep and gay cowboy
* Can pull off that stocking hat beanie look/has tattoos but looks good in a suit
* Muscular body but doesn’t shave his chest hair
* Certainly does drugs but doesn’t define him/he stays out of jail.
You’re instinct will be to use your decent credit to finance/lease something brand new—and if you live in a moderately priced place you may even be able to afford something luxury and shiny (3-series BMW for example). The alternative is hanging onto your college clunker you inherited from your parents (or bought in HS). But to be a yuppster you need to both have your boss think your car is respectable while being able to leave it overnight in a not-perfect neighborhood when you’re too drunk to drive home.
Enter the 10 + year-old luxury car. It says: I can keep something running, but also it was 5k. (also you can drive a scooter if you live in a city over 3 million/in summer)
8:30 AM— Wake up and check iPhone for emails from boss. Reply to one, so they know you’re awake. Play ‘temple run’ and ‘solitaire’ on iPhone for 1 hour. You work from home on Friday.
9:30 AM—Shower/brush-teeth/get dressed
10:10 AM—Deposit checks at bank, take out $40 for ‘cabs and cover’ later.
10:39 AM—Get double tall soy latte at relevant coffee shop in up and coming (mostly come) neighborhood. Actually answer emails and do work.
1:00 PM—Meet friends (one’s a college professor the other in advertising) for lunch at an organic restaurant. Eat scottish salmon and drink iced tea.
2:00 PM—Tidy-up apartment and take out trash. Recycle beer bottles (well-respected but relatively inexpensive craft brews) but don’t clean you’re apartment too well.
2:45 PM—Walk to friends apartment a few blocks away. Work on a memo for work, allow friend to pour you a vodka-soda in a wine glass. Watch your friend work on a review of band for local publication. Email your boss a project about 4:30 to prove you worked all day.
4:30 PM—Watch your friend (female) get ready/shower/pick out outfits.
6:00 PM—Arrive at upscale hotel bar downtown for someone you know ‘kind of well’ ‘from work’ for a birthday happy hour. Have one drink and a bite of someones appetizer. Leave too much for a tip and leave after one hour.
7:00 PM—Ditch car at home. Open vodka. Change.
8:30 PM—Head to a friends house to pre-game before the pre-game before going out. Share some adderral. Order jimmy johns.
10:00 PM—Take a cab to a friends younger brothers house to pre-game.
11:25 PM—Walk to venue where other discerning yuppsters dance and drink to a blend of dub-steb, house, top forty etc. Mingle, dance, smoke (but not too many cigarettes or if someone you’re trying to get with doesn’t smoke).
1:45 PM—Decently black-out but remain upright. Share a cab home with susan (maybe sally, or what was her name?)
almost a yuppster—only problem is the hair. Shirt/glasses/scruff combo is right